Seattle Public Schools

Who to Contact

Steps to Resolve Concerns

Step 1: Contact the Teacher or Counselor

Most concerns can be resolved with the help of your student’s teacher or school staff.

  • For grades preschool through 5th grade, contact your student’s teacher.
  • For grades 6th – 12th, contact your student’s teacher or counselor.

School staff is here to help your child. Teachers can help resolve concerns when made aware of them as soon as possible. Please keep in mind, teachers support many students. We appreciate your patience.  

Step 2: Contact the School Principal

If you believe your concern is unresolved, contact the school principal.

Step 3: Additional Contacts

If the concern remains unsolved after talking with your school principal, please contact one of the options below based on your situation.

Reporting safety concerns

In an emergency, call 911

Contact Safety and Security for:

  • Student or staff safety concerns and questions
  • Emergency preparedness information

The Safety and Security Department is staffed 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. For urgent issues, contact Safety and Security by telephone 206-252-0510.

Reporting bullying or discrimination

Contact the Office of Student Civil Rights for concerns about

  • Bullying
  • Discrimination
  • Harassment
  • Intimidation
  • Sexual Assault

Reports can be made verbally or in writing.

SPS Employee Concerns

Student Support Services

Student ADA and 504 department ensures information and communications is easily accessible for all students in Seattle Public Schools. Visit the Student ADA 504 department page.

The Special Education department works with schools, district staff, and families to provide the tools, guidance, supports, and services needed to ensure access and success for students with disabilities including IEP and transition services. Visit the Special Education department page.

Language support by phone for Seattle Public School families and guardians to communicate with schools regarding special education evaluations, registration, special education, and 504.

  • Amharic and Oromo 206-445-3848 or 206-252-0121
  • Chinese and Cantonese, Mandarin and Taishanese 206-475-1860 or 206-252-0013
  • Somali, Arabic 206-430-2494 or 206-252-0880
  • Spanish 206-471-2414 or 206-252-0208
  • Vietnamese 206-471-9386 or 206-252-0778

Contact the Seattle Public Schools Ombudsperson

If you aren’t sure who to contact or if you feel the school or departments are not following policy or fair practice, please contact the district ombudsperson’s office.

The ombudsperson works with families and schools to resolve concerns that cannot be solved at the school level.

Contact the State Education Ombudsperson

The Washington State Office of Education Ombuds is an available resource to help families and communities to address concerns.